Think of Broadway, and you will immediately think of show-stopping musicals packed with world-class production values, eye-popping vocals, and incredible stories that stay with you long after you’ve left the theater. The best Broadway shows are some of the biggest in the world, and no trip to the Big Apple is complete without booking tickets to a show that will have you whooping and cheering at the curtain call!
Jukebox musicals, iconic classics, and daring new shows rub shoulders in New York, so if you’re struggling to pick your next trip, we’re here to help. Below is our pick of the best musicals on Broadway you can book right now and why they should be on your list.
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
A chilling masterpiece of suspense, Sweeney Todd blends dark humor with a haunting score. Set in Victorian London, it tells the tale of a barber seeking vengeance against those who wronged him. With its atmospheric set and Sondheim's unforgettable music, this show is a thrilling journey into the macabre.
- The Lion King: A visual spectacle, The Lion King brings the African savannah to life on stage. With innovative puppetry and costumes, it narrates Simba's journey from a young cub to the king of the Pride lands. Elton John's music adds to the magic, making it a heartwarming experience for all ages.
- Hamilton: In more ways than one, Hamilton uses a mix of hip-hop, jazz, and R&B to tell the story of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. Lin-Manuel Miranda's creation is renowned for its innovative storytelling and diverse casting, offering a fresh historical perspective.
- Merrily We Roll Along: This Sondheim gem is unique for its reverse chronology, unraveling the complexities of friendships and dreams over the years. The compelling narrative and intricate score make it a thoughtful and emotionally resonant musical.
- Wicked: Exploring the untold story of the witches of Oz, Wicked is a tale of friendship and identity set against the backdrop of L. Frank Baum's famous world. With its stunning visuals and powerful ballads, it's a show that challenges perceptions and leaves audiences spellbound.
- MJ The Musical: Capturing the essence of Michael Jackson's life, MJ The Musical is a journey through his career, highlighting his greatest hits and the challenges he faced. It's a must-see for fans, blending spectacular choreography with a nuanced story.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: An enchanting expansion of J.K. Rowling's universe, this play explores the adventures of the next generation of wizards. With groundbreaking special effects, it's a magical experience that transcends traditional storytelling.
- Back to the Future: Based on the iconic film, this musical adaptation brings the time-traveling adventures of Marty McFly and Doc Brown to the stage. It's a nostalgic ride filled with humor, heart, and a hit-packed score.
- Gutenberg! The Musical: A hilarious spoof of historical musicals, Gutenberg! The Musical is a two-man show about the invention of the printing press. It's a clever and laugh-out-loud experience that's both a tribute and a parody of the musical genre.
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical: This adaptation of Baz Luhrmann's film is a dazzling celebration of love and bohemian spirit. Set in the Montmartre Quarter of Paris, it features a mash-up of contemporary music and spectacular design, creating an intoxicating and romantic atmosphere.
- Six The Musical: A pop-concert-meets-musical, Six reimagines the lives of the six wives of Henry VIII as modern-day pop stars. It's a high-energy, empowering show that turns a historical tale into a 21st-century feminist manifesto.